Wednesday, 17 January 2018

Wider than before

There's not a lot to say about this really, except that it is getting wider!

And on I go!

In the back of my mind I am not thinking about triangles at all now, I am thinking about the next AHIQ challenge, which will be kicking off here next Tuesday.  One thing I can promise you is that it won't involve HSTs.

Monday, 15 January 2018

How big is big enough?

I got another chunk added onto the length of this, and then thought it was time to stick it on a bed to gauge its size.

As you can see the length is not far off.  I already knew I needed to go wider, and this is a big bed (6' across) so I don't need as much as you might think from the photo.  There's still quite a bit of work to do, but I feel like I've got the bit between my teeth now, so as long as I don't have too many unforeseen interruptions, I might meet my self-imposed deadline (or at least come close).

Thursday, 11 January 2018

No turning back

I spent the first couple of hours I had mentally allocated for sewing this week learning how to replace the battery in a wired smoke alarm: one of those tasks that is straightforward once you've done it, but less so when you hadn't even given serious thought to the fact that there was a battery in there in the first place.  

Yesterday I had much better luck, thanks mostly to being stuck in while I waited for my car to be serviced and MOT'd, and then for them to replace the brake pads.  
 I still like how this looks, but am getting a bit bored of the making - not much variety in line after line of triangles really - so I'm going to knuckle down and try to get done before the end of the month when the next AHIQ challenge will get going.   It's nearly long enough now, but I need to add width (currently measures roughly 80" x 57").
I pondered the idea of adding the extra printing around the edges as a thin border.  On balance I tend to think that while it would be satisfying to get every last word onto the front, it wouldn't add anything visually, so will probably just stick with HSTs.  The huge pile I made early on is shrinking rapidly and I have reached the point where I am making the tiny ones as I need them, but I've come this far, so there's nothing for it but to keep going.

Sunday, 7 January 2018

New year, new quilt in the hoop

There was something very satisfying about finishing a quilt as December came to an end, and even more satisfying about starting work on a new one as this new year begins.  Having allowed Yellow Birds to jump the queue, because I had a backing ready, I am reverting to the old pecking order so Not Speaking for Me is next up.  

I've already made a fair start

but I'm not sure the red/white/blue makes for particularly interesting  close up photos.  Maybe I'll have to try something different next time. 

For now, though, these will do and I'm linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching.

Thursday, 4 January 2018

Getting back down to it

Happy New Year everyone!  

Things are slowly getting back to normal here, though I still have a spate of family birthdays and a deadline to get past.  As a result I finally have a little progress to share.

This still needs to be a little longer and quite a bit wider, but I have plenty of HSTs ready to go - you can just see them spilling over the bottom left-hand corner of the photo.  

It felt really good to get the piece with the black lighthouse finished and joined on; it has really caused me a few headaches but I persevered and am happy enough now, though I have had occasion to regret my decision, way back near the start, to make tiny triangles rather than using filler strips.  It looks much better, but boy is it a lot of extra work.  Too late to back out now though!

It occurs to me that I haven't blogged the names of the three lighthouses.  I could, of course, just make buildings up, but it gives me pleasure to use real-life starting points, so here are the links.  The white one at the top is the South Light on Fair Isle, the yellow one is Vattarnes in south-east Iceland and the black one is Irish: Ballycotton, off the coast of Cork.