Wednesday, 7 April 2021

Started, stopped

This is where I am at the moment, but I can tell you before you look at the photo that I don't think it's where I want to be.  

I am happy with the individual components here, but it all feels too congested.  One or two bits are sewn together; they may stay that way, although I'm not ruling out a seam ripper either (though that's not a thing I will do lightly with all those strings).

I don't often do this, but a back and white picture is instructive.

See?  Too much mush.  Of course, in colour the red pops out at you, as does the more acid of the yellows so this isn't the whole picture but I need to figure out a way to create some - what?  Space?  Contrast?  Room to breathe?  What I have so far is not huge, so that gives me room for manoeuvre and I am feeling happy that I had already stopped making strings and tulips.  Now it's time to step up and find a way to make this work just a bit better.

15 comments:

Paulette said...

I see what you mean, and I'm confident you will figure it out. I wonder how it would be to group the tulips all center-ish, i.e. a medallion sort of setting, and then use the strings oriented more so they're fanning towards the outer edges of the quilt, so they're more a border that "points" in directions not similar to the tulips. Maybe even a stop border around the tulips before the strings start to delineate, as in a garden fence? Just thinking out loud, for whatever it may be worth.

Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl said...

I see what you mean; the arrangement of all the pieces feels heavy to me. I think that the black and white photo is definitely instructive and I hope you find a solution that makes you happy. And hooray for having that sense and not making so many blocks that you feel boxed into making a choices you don't like.

Quiltdivajulie said...

How about some coping strips in a consistent/constrasting color to accent the tulip blocks while also giving them room to breathe? I've felt the "mush" coming on but didn't quite know how to express that reaction - your black and white photo did the trick. You could also create some version of a column quilt using the five sets of four-part blocks - maybe even just sliding them apart creating empty space on the design floor would help you visualize where you want to go. Keep at it - you'll find your way!

Julierose said...

What about stacking all the tulips horizontally across the quilt with the
string blocks surrounding? Just a thought..hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

I think the tulips get lost among the string blocks -- if you massed the tulips and surrounded them by strings I think that both of the designs would get emphasis.

Nann said...

....and the massed tulips wouldn't need to be smack in the center.They could be off-center....

deb oldenburg said...

I THINK FRAMING YOUR IMPROV TULIPS would set them off and get rid of the mush. love where this is going.

JustGail said...

I agree that the tulips get lost, and the rest is rather a jumble. I have no idea what the fix is though. There's so many fabrics, it seems like it needs a bit of consistency in there somehow. At least that's what my eye and brain is saying right now. Maybe put the string blocks in a consistent arrangement, like either Xs or Os, or all in one direction? That's where I'd start anyway. I do like the idea of placing he tulips in a medalion-ish setting.

patty a. said...

I agree that it all just kind of blends together. The solid print pieces just didn't do the trick. Sounds like you have some more trial and error to pursue!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if putting a sashing around just the tulip blocks will make them stand out more from the string blocks?
Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net

Anonymous said...

. . . on second thought, I now realize that would change the size of those blocks. Hmmmm . . . sorry I'm no help . . .
Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net

Ann said...

Interesting problem to have. The tan background makes most of the quilt medium. Have you looked at your Little Elephant for inspiration since much of that quilt is medium also?
It's great that you're using the basics from the prompt and moving in new directions.

Robin said...

Once again, sharing your creative process helps us all see things we didn't see before. Thanks.

Kim said...

A visit to your place always causes one to think and take in all of what you have come up with each time. It is amazing how the black and white photo adds clarity. Lots of helpful thoughts from the others. I look forward to see what you decide upon when next I visit. You will work it out....you always do.

Mary Marcotte said...

Well, since I fell off the earth for a while and am just catching up, again, I might bring new perspective. Or I might just make a mess of it all, but I'll dive in anyway. First, I love the tulips! Make those till you run out of everthing! Secondly, the diamonds created from the string blocks pull it together. However, thirdly, the string blocks that form the opposite of diamonds tend to fight for attention. (I laughingly thought of kids elbowing their way around.) Lastly, I'm not real crazy about the print squares. HST mixed with strings might be the way to solve that and still get some larger chunks in. Mostly, though I'm finding the elbowing strings are the real culprit.
But the tulips! Yes! I love the tulips.