Nearly there with this now. I had the idea in my head that I wanted to do a round of pinwheels to finish it off, but to make them bigger than the little ones I've used in the body of the quilt (they are 3.5" square). First off I thought this wasn't feasible as I had nowhere near enough left of the brown fabric that I had used for the little ones. Then I wondered if I could use what was left of my shirts instead. So this morning I did a first pass - making just a few so that a) I could see if I liked how they looked and b) I could get some idea of whether I would have enough scraps left even for this approach.
Here's what the first few looked like.
This was working well enough for me to keep going and by the end of the morning I had done 19.
Nothing's sewn yet. I know I've got enough fabric to get around three sides, though I have more of some than others. Where I don't have enough to cut a whole square at a time I am cutting individual triangles (no scrap goes to waste). It's slower, but worth it, I think. I will probably go around all 4 sides if I have enough but will reassess after the first couple and decide how much further to take it.