...give up and start again!
I should have been working on my yellow birds today, and got it all out only to realise that I had completely failed to print the one extra word I needed. I had a whole week to get this done and somehow it had completely slipped my mind. I was extremely ticked off with myself.
However, tomorrow is a new day and in the meantime I thought I'd do an update on my attempt at the AHIQ Chinese Coins challenge. Not straightforward here, either. But the reason we take on challenges is to learn and grow, I tell myself, so here's what I learned.
After a week or so looking at the first coins I cut I decided they just weren't doing it for me.
Why? Several reasons, first of which was the colours - with the benefit of a bit of reflection I think they were too same-y, sort of mid-tones, nothing stood out except the very strong pink, which was rather too much.
The second thing wrong was that I had cut them all about the same size. I know, I know, that's what you're supposed to do, but the way my brain works things just aren't meant to be all the same size. I love it when other people do it, but when it's staring up at me from the cutting mat I'm just not inspired. I have to thank Sue for making me realise this.
So, back to the drawing board. This time I pulled a load of shirts and then dug around in stash to see what I liked with them. One of two of the original fabrics are still there, but most have gone back into their boxes for another day. I can see that these fabrics too are similar in tone, though the checks/prints/solids maybe create a bit more variety but this time I like how they work together. Go figure.
Next up, I have started cutting coins. Bearing in mind that Ann is working with smaller sets, to give her more room for manoeuvre I am taking a leaf out of her book.
The last aha moment for me was the realisation that I usually mix things up a bit more than this. I read a great post on Barbara Brackman's Cloud of Quilt Patterns, on quilts that mixed up two blocks. Inspired by this I have started making little pinwheels, to go in with the strips.
This may not look like much, but in my head it has started to make sense, so I'm going to roll with it, give thanks for the connections the internet has helped me to make, and see where I get to.