This morning I started playing around with my blocks again, looking at how I was going to get them to fit together. First off I tried my little piece with squares in one of the gaps.
I didn't mind this but thought I'd try stripes instead of squares.
Decided to go with this, so did some cutting and rearranging, and a bit of adding on and ended up with these.
Sewn on they look like this:
Right now I am thinking that I like this where I have used it vertically (halfway up right hand side) but not so much horizontally (bottom left) but am going to leave it for now and see if it grows on me.
I should add that I have rejected the idea of using 'cheater' strips, ie ones of the same colours as the existing borders. there are two reasons for this: the first is a practical one as I only have half a metre of each fabric; the second is that I would prefer to come up with a solution that acknowledges and works with the odd construction rather than trying to hide it. I could, of course, revert to plan b and use straightforward strips of a single, extra fabric.