Tuesday, 23 August 2016

AHIQ- share your improv #12

I seem to have started myself on a tricky path.  These curvy blocks are taking ages and don't always work quite how I want them to.  I could be foundation piecing them, I guess, but don't seem to want to make all the decisions at the start, so am fumbling my way through the piecing.

Here's a less successful example:

Note to self: really should iron before taking photographs. 

Working with curves leaves lots of odd shaped little scraps so I am trying to use what I have rather than cutting straight from my yardage (or half-yardage).  I would usually try to include scrap I generated along the way, but it seems particularly important here since I don't want to get halfway through and discover I don't have any biggish pieces.

Monday, 22 August 2016

Wise after the event

Do you ever make something and then think "this would have been so much easier if I hadn't done x/or had done y?" Well that's where I am today.  I've been so desperate to achieve even a tiny bit of sewing before my head explodes and that I have done.  I have one circle-y block that I am happy with (it looks like there are horrid creases but that's just where the cat slept on it; it looks fine when it's ironed).

Unfortunately I've now got an inkling of something I might want to do that I've made a whole lot harder by not thinking just one tiny step further ahead.  I may try it anyway or I may just grind my teeth and wait a week or two and then sew in a calmer atmosphere.

A reminder, too that it's AHIQ link up tomorrow, for all those of you who are managing to sew through the summer.

Linking up today with Love Laugh Quilt and Patchwork Times 

Sunday, 21 August 2016

New shirts/old shirts

Today I'm chugging on with my quilting, but thought I'd spare you yet another shot of it.  I'm also keeping on top of the 365 circles, and picked up a couple of shirts this week that I think might help when I run out of fabric from the original three.  

The first is this check. Some parts of it are very pink, but I would just discard those.

The second is this stripe, which looked in the shop like it would be spot on, but which I don't like so much laid out with the squares.

I do, however, like it like this.

I'm not at the point where I have to make firm decisions yet; I have cut the last of the blue shirt into squares, but there is a surprising amount of the other two left still.  But it's good to have this simmering away somewhere in the back of my brain.

As always I'm linking up with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching.

Thursday, 18 August 2016

Keeping track

Given that my floor space is still otherwise occupied I am taking more photos than usual as I play, to try and keep track of things that I have to pick up and put away, so here are two things I've thought about today.  I am wondering about ways of combining the vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines from the flag with the quarter circle block.

I've tried this:

and this:

Maybe these look a bit too heavy and the proportions of the diagonal strip aren't right, but I'm not sewing anything new until I'm sure I want it, otherwise at some point I'm pretty much bound to run out of fabric.

Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Changing plans

Finally some actual sewing is taking place here.  Mind you, what is happening is not at all what I was expecting. I spend a fair old time playing around with my sets of strips but nothing was sparking for me.  I know what my problem was: I couldn't get far enough away from the Union Jack.  While I'm taking my colours from the flag and probably some other bits, I don't want to be making copies, even improv ones.

So I fiddled around and looked back through my notebook and mind kept coming back to circles.  Bit of a theme going on still.  I have a couple of teeny doodles that I have been meaning to play with at some point and decided to see where they took me this morning.  (I'll take a photo of the doodles and post next time).

I got this:

I'm not sure this is quite what I want either, and it seems maybe a bit boring, but for now I'm going to keep heading in this direction. 

I might have kept going for a bit,but then this happened...

Yes, I could shift him, but experience suggests he would be happy to play that game for a lot long than I could take,so I am being grateful for the time I got and giving in gracefully today.

Linking up with Lorna for Let's Bee Social.

Monday, 15 August 2016

Just cutting strips

Now I know it is August and things slow down at this time of year but I have to tell you I am getting kind of twitchy now.  I spent all of last week trying to find five minutes to finish making the back for my circles quilt so that I could sandwich it.  Have I got a quilt back? Nope.  I am no closer to getting it done,even though it is 90% pieced and I just need to add two little bits.  Every time I get it all out something happens - a cat, a kid, a man at the door, and the last time I was interrupted I bundled it unceremoniously together (and I do mean bundled, not carefully folded) and stuck it on top of a pile of boxes, where it is still sitting, untouched.

I am doing fine on my little twiddly bits of handwork: circles, skirt, quilting, but need to be doing just a tiny bit more.  

So, trying to be a realist, I am going to stick with small bits that don't require a floor for now.  The good side to this is that it means I have started cutting my lovely pile of red, white and blue.  I'm just cutting strips and piecing them into sets of three for now, but it will giving me something to work with in a while and it's very manageable practically.

Not masses to show, I know, but right now I'll take what I can get!

Linking up with Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making and with Cooking Up Quilts for Main Crush Monday.