So, in a quick gallop through yesterday's progress, I
- Printed some words
- Added the word strips into my mostly pieced sections
- Added piecing up the right hand side and then sewed the top and bottom chunks together
- Decided that I didn't like the two long strips in the middle at the bottom (the orange-y one and the very pale one) right next to each other so shunted the bottom bird over to the left a bit and added some more geese.
This last move meant, of course that I had a tall thin gap along the top left-hand edge, but that has been filled in too, resulting in this.
Next time up I will have to get the rest of the birds out of the box and see where next. I have noticed that these long, thin strips quite often make an appearance in my quilts and almost always as vertical, not horizontal lines. Maybe that's partly a practical solution to the problems that come with my way of piecing, maybe it's more that I like how the strong verticals anchor everything else that is going on. To be honest I have not thought about it coherently before. Since I do like them I'm not too bothered but at the same time maybe next time I'll consider alternatives.
In the meantime, I off to give some thought to Chinese Coins for the first AHIQ challenge.
Linking up with NinaMarie for Off the Wall Friday