A little bit more progress, though I have also spent quite a bit of time just mindlessly making flying geese. I don't really mind that; it's quite soothing just running stuff through the machine and it's good to have plenty of little units to play around with.
When I started this morning this is what my floor looked like. The first thing I did was so go backwards, which is to say that there were a couple of bird bits that I decided I didn't like and I have pulled them to pieces. There was one in particular where the little dark bird was right on the top edge and the whole thing looked sort of round-shouldered to me. I've liberated it from its surroundings and will try again. It is currently the middle bird on the left-hand side and now just has a tiny yellow strip added across the top to try and make it look less squashed.
The eagle-eyed amongst you may notice that the bird bits go down in different places each time I lay this out. If I like something at the end of a session I do take a quick snap on my phone so that I can reproduce it next time. Unfortunately when push comes to shove I usually lack the discipline to keep checking that picture and just put the pieces down in whatever way appeals to me that day.
This is where I left it today - who knows what it will look like when I start again tomorrow!