For slightly complicated reasons I find I can't work on the yellow birds today so thought I'd have a think about the AHIQ challenge set by Ann. Funnily enough I have always liked Chinese Coins, and looking back there are a couple of quilts where I started with the explicit idea of using this sort of structure.
The first was Inner City:my original idea was to use bigger strips of the city fabric along with lots of 'coin' strips. You can see from this early picture what I had in mind.
I kind of veered off a bit after that, but I think you can still see elements of that initial idea in the finished quilt.
By a strange coincidence I started with a similar basic idea in the current quilt. Again, looking at an early picture you can see how this would work, incorporating the bird bits with coin-type strips.
This one has, of course, moved even further away from that starting point.
So I am going to try again. My starting fabrics literally just came from a pile sitting on the table waiting to be tided away, though I may add stuff from my boxes as I get going. I'm interested to see whether what I will end up with this time. My personal challenge (thanks, Stephie) is to see if I can produce something that works whichever way up I look at it.
Linking up with NinaMarie for Off the Wall Friday.