I cannot tell you how good it felt to be sewing again this morning. In the course of the last week, my brain and fingers itching to get back to my own sewing I have instead produce two very makeshift rag dolls (as in, can you do this in half an hour and can it please look like a Ninjago character please) and a blanket to keep Mr Sew Slowly's legs warm while he's fishing. This was not as simple as you might think, as he wanted fish appliqued on (even bought his own fabric from Spoonflower) and three layers, two of army blanket and one of wadding, all quilted together.
Anyhow, after all that, and before someone thinks to ask me for a circus tent or a pair of trousers decorated with balloons or any such nonsense, I have been back to my own stuff.
Remember this pile of fabric? Where to start? Ok, so I had only the vaguest of thoughts about this, which was pretty much 'something with rectangles'. So I kicked off by cutting up the yellow fabric with birds on. This was the scariest one to cut into, but I reckon it's a good idea to get the worst over first. I ended up with this:
and a pile of spare bits without birds.
The next thing that caught my eye happened to be a shirt pocket, which yielded two squares once I sliced off the seams. I added a third.
At this point I started to think in columns, so the next thing was to start adding bits to build vertically.
As usual I am cutting willy nilly then adding bits on if something is a bit small.
When I take a shirt to pieces I habitually take off cuffs, collars, plackets etc, but I don't throw them away and at some point in the scheme of things I wondered, in the spirit of Modern Utility, whether I might just include them. Here's a train of thought picture of that stage.
Of course this is very early days, and I am still pretty much just playing: putting stuff down and seeing what I like, but some of these bits have already made it in there.
In a nutshell, today was mostly about getting a feel for the fabrics, seeing which ones I liked next to each other (or not), and starting to put together some chunks that work for me. Where they end up in relation to each other and what else will find its way in, I have literally no idea as yet, but it's a start!