Well this might be famous last words, but I think I'm starting to get into the swing of things here. I made an extra curve block - these are smaller than the original 8 and don't have the diagonal stripe; I'm hoping to be able to squeeze several of these out of what I still have. You can see from the piecing of the blue fabric that I am joining all my random pieces together, just so that I can cut them again.
I also added some more to the piece I was working on last time: there's an extra little row of crosses along the bottom.
I envisage all the bits might go together something like this.
It's not quite right yet, but something along these lines.