In the middle of the night, when anyone as tired as I was should definitely have been sleeping, I woke up to wonder to myself why I seem to be working with smaller and smaller pieces. With the current wall project I just started by cutting a size I liked the look of, but of course once you start factoring in seam allowances things get small pretty quickly.
This morning I cut some more squares, only bigger this time.
This is what they look like mixed up with the original bits:
and with some turned on their ends.
This is clearly not going to be the quilt I started off thinking I would make, but that's nothing new; I just need to keep going and get to grips with what's going on here.